Saturday, April 13, 2013

Simple Saturday: Knit a Bandana Scarf for Yourself or Your Dog

Want a really simple knitting project that lets you start working on making increases?  Then this bandanna pattern is for you.  With just a bit of yarn, I used a 120 yards of worsted weight, but you can use any weight you want as long as you match the weight to the needles, you can make a simple Bandana scarf for yourself your your dog.  The pattern is from Last Minute Knitted Gifts by Joelle Hoverson, but the idea is so simple you don't really need a pattern, you are just knitting a triangle.

Bandana Scarf for Dogs or Humans


Cast on 3 stitches with whatever weight yarn and needle size you are using (make sure  you have enough yarn about 100-150 yards or a little more and then  you can just stop when the scarf is big enough).  I used a long circular needle because I think its easier to acomodate the stitches as the triangle grows, but you can use regular straight needles if you want. Slip the first stitch knit the next stich and then knit front and back in the last stitch to increase one stitch.  





Continue slipping the first stitch, knitting across the middle stitches, and kfb on the last stitch in each row until your bandana is large enough and then bind of losely.

110 yards of worsted weight yarn makes a nice bandana for a larger neck dog:

Or for a human.


I definitely think the finished project looks way better on Bob and Norbert then on me, but they are natural models.

PS: Don't forget to enter Bob's Birthday Give Away to win a Day Dog Designs collar we are announcing the winner on April 15. 


20 comments:

  1. Now we do like those but peeps is rubbish with the needles. Great modelling guys. Have a super Saturday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great on you too!! Love the color you used!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a knitter, but these are cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You all look very stylish in your scarfs. What a crafty mom !
    hugs
    Bailey, Hazel & Greta

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will say that Bob and Norbert look fabulous in the bandana, but you look great! I didn't notice, at first, that this was for pups and humans. When I saw your photo I was surprised how lovely it looked. This is a wonderful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are gorgeous! You all look very lovely in your new bandanas.
    Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look great! But sadly mummy can't knit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the bandanas look great on everyone. And of course Mom has added another to do project to her list :-)

    I think the pin is a perfect touch for the human's, very stylish

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bob and Norbert are so cute with that knitted scarf. You're cute too :)

    I can't knit or crochet, so I'll just stick to baking :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are super cool :) Have a wonderful Sunday xx00xx

    Mollie and Alfie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bob was born to model and Norbet is very patient :-) I think you're looking very fine - you're just not used to being on the front side of the camera!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks cute on ALL of you! You're adorable too! Just not used to being the one photographed but ya are :) Have a wonderful Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What cute bandanas! Everyone looks very lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i suck at knitting. No matter how simple the pattern I always mess up. :-) Nice job, it looks good on all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your pattern(s) and spirit are lovely, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm not a brilliant knitter but just had to try this!
    Quick and simple perfect for me. One down side once my friend sees this she will have me knitted them for her boys constantly lol! P.S you all look gorgeous in them

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is soooo simple i've been searching for something like this that i can understand for 20 hours and this is DEAD SIMPLE

    ps. u look g8 in the bandana! Just like those 2 Baby(s)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is great. But just one small doubt how to " bind of loosely" to complete the bandana?
    I may sound stupid but I am new to this knitting hence the question.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is great. Looks nice on you. Pattern looks doable for the beginners like me. Just one small question. It may sound stupid but I have to ask since I dint know. How to " bind of loosely"? as you mentioned towards the end?

    ReplyDelete