Saturday, August 3, 2013

Belka and Strelka Canine Cosmonauts

August is an important month in canine history since it marks the anniversary of the flight of Belka and Strelka the Russian canine cosmonauts who helped usher in the space age.   The anniversary of their flight is August 19 but as we will be on blogger break then I thought Id share the video now.  Despite being a fan of galactic exploration this video always makes me sad.  They must have been terrified.

Two years ago I wrote a much longer post on Belka and Strelka here.


12 comments:

  1. I did not know about Belka and Strelka. I always find your Historical Hounds posts so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd completely forgotten about Belka and Strelka. Agree - they had to be completely terrified. Heading to read your archived post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find anything like this unbarable, humans have a lot to answer for don't they.
    Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto Dip Dip. It is was an awful thing to do. Have a super Saturday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sure is amazing but I agree, must have been quite terrifying for them.
    Happy Saturday xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. They seemed to like all of the attention leading up to the voyage but must have crapped their pants when the rocked took off :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would be completely terrified too! Have a great break!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. SHE only remembers Laika. Poor pups...they look so eager to please..

    xXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't like that.. i would of crapped meself, poor dogs xx00xx I'd send Alfie though..BOL xx

    Mollie and Alfie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was happy to find out the doggies did survive the space flight and return to earth. Whew!

    ReplyDelete