Monday, October 17, 2011

Easy Giant Knitted Squeeky Pillow Dog Toy

I made this toy quite awhile ago as a way to practice some basic knitting skills: knitting in the round, increases, decreases, and color changes. 




What I did was knit a big tube and then stuffed it with poly fiberfill and some squeakers (put in a couple squeakers in different places to make it fun.

You don't need a pattern for this as its just a tube shape with a decrease in the middle.   Use circular needles, I used size 5 16 inch needles, but smaller needles would be better (or double points).  Cast on an even number of stitches, I did 40, with some inexpensive or scrap yarn (I used about 200 yards of cheapo Read brand yarn in red and purple) and join for knitting in the round.  Knit for about 5 to 7 inches, changing colors if you want to make stripes like I did, and then knit 2 decrease rounds by knitting 2 together for the entire round.  


Knit for 3 to 5 more inches and then knit two increase rounds by doing knit 1 (k1) and then make 1 (m1) through out the rounds.



Then knit for aother 5 to 7 inches, changing colors for striping if you  like and bind off leavinga long tail.  Stuff the pillow with polly fiberfill and squeakers and sew it shut with the long tail. Give it to your dog, even if its lumpy and a bit ugly like mine they will still enjoy it!  Bob likes to use his as a chin rest.

6 comments:

  1. Cool toy it makes a nice pillow too
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a great toy! I love the pictures, especially the second one. Bob looks so cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at you go! I'm so in awe of people who can knit or do other crafty things. I'm SO not creative like that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your doggies are so lucky to have a creative mum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your projects make me wish I had even *basic* knitting skills. This is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That toy looks like it would make a super comfy cozy pillow!

    Your pal, Pip

    ReplyDelete