Monday, December 12, 2011

Simple Projects Fingerless Reading Mitts-From Ravelry



I decided awhile ago to try a slightly more complex knitting project, so I choose a pattern from www.ravelry.comSusie's Reading Mitts.   I  used  Manos-Del-Uruguay yarn from Purl Soho, unfortunately the green I used is no longer available.   I also made some changes to the pattern.

First of I decided to knit these using the magic loop method rather, rather then double points.   Watch these videos to see how to cast on and start knitting with Magic Loop





One of the nice things about magic loop is you can try your work on as you go.  After round 11 I noticed the mitts where a little big, I have very small hands, so I knitted an extra decrease round.  For round 12 I k4 k2tog, (knitted four stiches and then knitted 2 together) 32 stitches total.  Then I followed the pattern, but with fewer stitches.  I did the the thumb gusset set up the same as the one in this Ravelry pattern.   This was a fun and easy project for a beginning level knitter, like me, who is somewhat sick of scarfs.

6 comments:

  1. Great idea! I'm just not ready to take on a new project right now. I will pass this on to my sister who is an advid knitter. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really should learn to knit....I thought the mitt's were cute. I have daughters who would like these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty mittens. I love the colors.

    Momma just started knitting about a month ago and I think I've lost her for good this time. She is obsessed with yarn and patterns. Ravelry is now her best friend!

    Tiffy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mama has been thinking about crocheting some. Gloves and mittens are just not useful when trying to stay warm and craft.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never tried the magic loop. You did a good job, the mitts look really nice. I am still working on scarves when my furbabies give me a little time. How long did it take you to knit the mitts?

    Mom of Nina, Myshka, Sasha, Betsy, Lucy, Phoebe and Lily

    ReplyDelete