Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Pumkin Puree for Pups

"So this thing is going to become a treat for me?  That makes that hat almost bearable."


Most informed pet owners know about the powers of pumpkin as a gastrointestinal cure all, but did you know its also loaded with vitamins and anti-oxidants.   In fact pumpkin is one of the most goof proof kibble add-ons since nearly every tolerates it well.  I've added pumpkin to the dogs food for years, but I have never cooked fresh pumpkin.  I thought this would be a good year to try.

Pumpkin Puree for Pups
  
1 small baking pumpkin, 2 to 4 lbs
2 cups unsweetened apple juice, carrot juice, or apple-carrot juice blend
1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional, but cinnamon has many health benefits including lowering blood sugar and boosting cognition)

Preheat the oven to 350.  Slice the pumpkin in half with a sharp knife, or what I used a jack o' lantern carving knife.

Scoop out the stringy bits and seeds (saving the seeds to roast later) and lay the halved pumpkin on a baking sheet.   Bake for 45 minutes.  By this time the pumpkin will be soft and the skin will come right off.   Cut it in chunks and put it in the blender, if you are lucky you will have a Vitamix, but any old blender will do.  Add the juice and cinnamon and blend on high until pureed.

 Top your dogs kibble with generous dollops.

24 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I definitely need to try this. Food topper for the pups and seeds for the bipeds - a win win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I have a friend who puts pumpkin on her dog's food. I must share this with her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That actually sounds pretty easy! And I am one of the lucky ones, I have a Vitamix ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful idea, I think that this is great way to use any leftover pumpkin from making a pumpkin pie or Jack-O-Lantern! I have never tried pumpkin and I'm amazed at how good it is for me! Mum said that she will deffo be trying this recipie for me, it looks delicious! Love and Licks from your furiend Frank xxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. We agree what a good idea. We will give it a go. Have a terrific Tuesday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  6. We put a TBL. everyday in our pugs breakfast but we never thought about adding the juice when we blend it up. We are baking up the leftovers from Halloween over the weekend. Someone told us it was good for the gland problem so many of the little four leggers have.
    Stella rose's momma

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the recipe! The hounds circle us like vultures on pumpkin carving night. They love the stuff. Will try adding puree to the kibble this year for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds tasty! My dad used canned pumpkin when I had a stomach bug but this post makes me want to eat some every day!

    -Love,
    Sid.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I add pumpkin to kids' meal from time to time, as Niko tends to get constipated. It does help :-) The pumpkin puree looks delicious, great addition to the dish!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not sure what one particular dog we know would make of pumpkin but it's natural and sounds good to me. :-) x x x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never made my own - you make it look so easy. Kirby eats a rotational diet so he gets a spoonful now and then to aid in the transition and I stock up on canned pumpkin for treats.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have read pumpkin is very good for dog's tummies.
    Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh what a great recipe and photo katherine!
    it is the perfect fall post!
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  14. My intent this year was to have a pressure cooker so I could make my own canned pumpkin, but that didn't happen. We use pumpkin in our diet every single day, it's so very good for you and the dogs love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great and healthy fall recipe. And I also love the adorable hat and sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been coveting a vitamix for years now...Only used pumpking during bouts of intestinal upsets but truly it would make a good everyday supplement and i like the idea of blending with some apple carrot juice...I'm thinking of trying to juice some pumpkin with apples and carrots and see what happens

    ReplyDelete
  17. That sounds delicious - thanks for sharing your recipe!
    Stewey

    ReplyDelete
  18. YUM! Mama gives us pumpkin but this sounds yummy ...

    Love Zoe, Peyton, Webster, Liberty & Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mom just baked some pumpkin this weekend n of course I got some. Great recipe. Golden Thanks for sharing. Happy Tasty Tuesday. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

    ReplyDelete
  20. Teton's Teton's Teton Teton Teton and Titanium Flat Rings - The
    Teton Teton Teton Teton Flat Rings. race tech titanium Designed and manufactured by Teton black titanium Group, Teton Teton titanium ore has an ultimatley, ultimatley ring base featuring titanium alloy nier a fully balanced and $1.39 · ‎Out of stock ceramic vs titanium flat iron

    ReplyDelete