Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Tasty Tuesday-Cheese Ball!!!

Every once and a while I like to make a dinner of appetizers for my husband and myself.  I'm partial to retro tinged classics like shrimp cocktail, sweet and sour meat balls, and of course cheese balls.  Then I can pretend our home is the setting for a glamorous vintage cocktail party.



 A few weeks ago I made a cheese ball so deliciously indulgent that after a few crackers worth I tossed it to prevent any further consumption, but it was totally worth it.



Delicious Cheese Ball

In fact it was so tasty that it got me thinking about a cheese ball for dogs.  I mean why should people have the fun.  If I ever do have a real cocktail party with guests and everything, unlikely, wouldn't it be fun to have appetizers for the dogs as well?  I think so.   Luckily my dogs tolerate dairy well and they all love cheese so my primary tax was defatting and simplifying the recipe.  I can't say the end result is healthy but its not terrible and the dogs sure loved them.

Canine Cheese Balls





Everyone loved the cheese balls even my big old guy Norbert who looks rather stoic in this picture.
 Now for the recipes, of course you can change up a cheese ball any which WAY you like by using different cheeses and seasonings.

Cheese Balls for Dogs
  • 8 oz fat free cream cheese
  • 1/2 cup shredded fat free cheddar 
  • 5 baby carrots, diced
Stir the above ingredients in a bowl and form into balls with your hands.  Voila! cheese ball.

Amy Sedaris's Lil' Smokey Cheese Ball

Definitely half this, I should have.

2 cups shredded smoked Gouda cheese
16 ounces cream cheese
1/2 cup butter
2 1/2 tablespoons milk
2 1/2 teaspoons steak sauce
1 cup chopped nuts


Directions:

Bring all ingredients to room temperature.
Beat the Gouda, cream cheese, butter, milk and steak sauce together in a bowl until combined.
Chill overnight.
Roll the mixture into a ball.
Roll the ball in the chopped nuts.
Serve at room temperature with ritz or club crackers



In the end I'd really much rather spend an evening at home with my dogs then at any silly cocktail party!

21 comments:

  1. Those are some really cute pictures of the pugs scoping out the plate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now we could easily snack on those in front of the TV. Have a terrific tasty Tuesday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummmmmmmmmm those look great, but the doggies look better, love the photos of all your pack, especially my little Ping!
    Love and Licks from your furiend Frank xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm totally going to make this for Pip. His appetite is decreasing but think he might like these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Golden LAUGHS on Norbet's face. I do see a "tiny" droll. Happy Tasty Tuesday. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

    ReplyDelete
  6. WE loved those pictures of yur babies waiting so patiently!!! We would love these without the carrots, I suggest Mom use apples instead or steak..b.ahhahahahah
    stella rose

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the pug pics! Kirby would want me to replace the carrot with shredded meat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those cheese balls sound delish! Especially since there is some carrot in there (my favorite ingredient). I love the photo of Tubby and Weasley with their paws up on the table, intently staring at the cheese balls! I would probably be doing the same (and whining at the same time).

    -Love,
    Sid.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Luna sure loves cheese, so those cheese balls look mighty good to her!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both the human and doggy cheese ball recipes sound yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh your cheese ball looks so yummy! I love the combination of cheese and nuts. Your babies are so lucky to enjoy cheese balls with you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. YUM ... you always post the best recipes! Mama doesn't cook - except for us! She will definitely have to make these!

    Love Zoe, Peyton, Webster, Liberty & Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are seeing some very eager faces there - must be good!
    Dip Bridge and Elliot x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi my friends,
    Your photos are so beautiful of all of you, and I see you wanting cheese balls! I don't blame you-- I would want one to. I have a feeling you got a nice taste of one-- and I bet you enjoyed it.
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the pugs eyeballing those cheese balls...priceless!

    We love cheese, so we eat it plain....

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like cheese balls too. Similar to you though, I don't keep them in the house or I would eat the whole thing in an evening!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG... You just reminded me that I have a cheese problem :/ I'm seriously salivating over here! I love your dog cheese ball idea too! Niles takes dairy fine so we may try this when she has her next birthday party! :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. You always have us drooling, even Alfie loves Cheese.. Mom says she's gonna make some for a Christmas treat :) WoooHOOOO XXOOXX

    Mollie and Alfie

    ReplyDelete
  19. The pups look so cute...all they need is a round of Bower Beers to go with their cheese balls

    ReplyDelete