Friday, February 3, 2012

Simple Magic Loop Knitted Hat

I have mentioned before how much I like Magic Loop Knitting its super easy to learn and you can quickly knit up small diameter circular items.   I've used double  pointed needles too but Magic Loop is much easier.   I used magic loop to make this simple ribbed hat using the pattern from More Last Minute Gifts and substitute magic loop for double points.

To make a woman's size hat cast on 112 stitches of worsted weight yarn (I used one ball of Manos Del Uruguay) on a 40-47 inch long circular needle in US size 5.  Push all of the stitches to the middle of the long cord of the needle and divide the stitches in half.  Pull the cord out.  There should now be 56 stitches on each needle.    Here is a video showing you how to start magic loop.




 Knit the hat in double rib (2 knit stitches and 2 purl stitches) until it measures 6 1/2 inches for a women's size hat (add another inch for a man's size hat).   At this point start shaping the corn of the hat.   Knit two together (K2tog) and purl two together (P2tog) for one round.  Then knit one round in one by one rib (one knit and one purl).  Next round K2tog all around and repeat this last round until 14 stiches remain.  Cut the yarn leaving an 8" long tail .  Thread the tail through the needle and pull through all of the remaining stitches.  Pull down through the top of the hat and knot on the inside.  Weave the ends into the hat.

5 comments:

  1. Woof! Woof! COOL! Mom used to knit ... but she said it tiring she might try it again. You did a great job. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice hat! I like the color especially!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the hat! My mom is knitting challenged. She has tried many times to knit,but it is always a big disaster.

    Your pal, Pip

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that hat! I have those needles of my Mother's but never knew how to use them! Thanks! When I get time I am going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! You did a good job on the hat. Knitting is so relaxing. Thank you for sharing the pattern. I am considering joining the Patternworks Afghan Block of the Month Club. Hope I have time to knit - I have many UFOs (unfinished objects). Do you?

    Nina's black spot on her tail is a breed fault - she is supposed to be solid white/cream with dark skin. Her skin is pink and it appears all the dark went to her tail. She and another pup were the last 2 of a litter so I am thinking that is why she was not chosen. Size wise she was huge. The spot did not matter to me. When I saw her I knew immediately that I wanted the puppy with the spot. She was very shy and frightened - I wanted to save her. She is my shadow.

    ReplyDelete