Now for Christmas Cooking Countdown, Baked Zita with Pork and Sausage Ragu from epicurious. This is a good recipe if you have a potluck or some such thing to go to, it make a large amount of food, and it can be prepared completely in advance. It takes a while to make but most of the cooking time its such simmering in the pot.
Baked Ziti With Spicy Pork and Sausage Ragu
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces pancetta, chopped (getting the pre-chopped kind is easiest)
- 2 pounds pork stew meat, like cubed boston butt
- 1 pound Italian hot sausages, chopped
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 6 large fresh thyme sprigs
- 6 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1 28-ounce can plum tomatoes in juice,
- 1 and 1/2 packages pounds pasta
- 2 cups (8 oz) shredded mozzarella (not fresh, get the stuff that comes in the bag)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Cook the ziti in boiling water. Remove the hardened fat from the top of the ragu and heat it up a bit in the microwave. Stir the cooked ziti and ragu together and transfer to a buttered lasagna pan. Top with the grated cheese. Cook in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes until heated through and the cheese is browned.
On a sad note we are praying for a Christmas miracle for our pal Pip. He is feeling very poorly, please stop by and wish him well.