Monday, December 3, 2012

Monday Mischief-Foreign Object Ingestion

The ingestor

 The object (recreation)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5f/DVD.jpg/220px-DVD.jpg 

On Thursday evening I was sitting at the computer and I heard the chomp chomp of Weasley chewing.  When I got up to investigate he turned  on his heels to flee.  By the time I got the object away from him.  I realized it was a DVD)and that Weasley had bitten a sizeable chunk off.  I searched about for the missing pieces but of course couldn't find them.  Meanwhile Weasley looked perfectly content and happy, but I reasoned that a sharp piece metallic substance was not the best thing to have in your tummy so of to the vet we went.

Two  hundered and thirty dollars later the vet had x-rayed Weasley's tummy and saw nothing but food in it, then he x-rayed the remaining portion DVD and realized that it didnt show up on the machine (I do wish they had reversed the order of the procedure).  Weasley was still acting fine so the vet sent us home with Pepcid AC and told me to watch him closely for the next day.  We were told it was likely he either hadn't eaten the DVD or had and would just pass it, but that was a chance of intestinal puncture or other injury.  So I called my boss and told them I wouldn't be in to work the next day and why (luckily I have an understanding boss).

Well we were lucky and Weasley was just fine and there was no further sign of the DVD.

After this experience I did some basic research on Gastrointestinal Foreign Bodies and Dogs and this is what I learned


  • VPI pet insurance reports that foreign body ingestion is one of their most common insurance claims accounting for 3.2 million in claims last year.
  • Dogs of all ages will chew on (and ingest) foreign bodies but it is most common in dogs younger then two years old.  Cats are less plagued by this issue but it happens to them as well.
  • Symptoms of foreign body ingestion include vomiting, discomfort, and diarrhea.
  • The first thing a vet will do when presented with an animal that may have ingested a foreign object is an x-ray, but as in Weasley's case it may not show up.  An ultrasound can then be helpful or if the animal appears to be in no distress close monitoring is acceptable.
  • If an object passes through the intestine and into the colon then the dog will most likely pass it on their own, and dogs can pass some nasty things.  Given the dog a little extra to eat can help the process.  If your dog has an object logged in their colon when they are going potty (ie its sticking out a bit, never ever pull it.  If its still atatched inside you can cause serious damage, instead take your dog to the vet).
  • The biggest risk with foreign object ingestion is abdominal or intestinal tearing.  It means that because the intestine is blocked the walls break down a hole forms and the intestinal contents will link into the abdomen and blood stream.  This can cause sepsis and shock and a pet in this condition will die without immediate treatment, and may well not survive anyway.
We were lucky to have dodged a bullet with Weasley and we have our paws crossed that this wont happen again ( we have locked up all of our DVDs).

21 comments:

  1. OMP! A CD?! Wow, I've eaten some bizarre stuff but that's one I never considered. I'm so glad to hear you are alright, Weasley. I know your mom makes delicious nom-ables, so just stick to those from now on, ok, dude? The less your 'rents have to spend on vet bills, the more they have to spend on treats and toys.

    -Love,
    Sid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woof! Woof! Oh My yes that's dangerous so be extra careful. Happy MM. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear! That is scary stuff! Thank goodness Weasley is okay! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no Weasley!! Don't eat DVD!!
    It must have been very scary for you... It happened to my boy, too and I was worried terribly. I'm soooo glad he is okay!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes! Poor mom and dad! Weasley, we can't really tell you how naughty you are, given that Tallulah eats peach pits, saran wrap and whole bully sticks. But try not to freak out your parents out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this was so scary for everyone! We are glad you are ok.
    I have eatin some bad things too.
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, that is really scary. Pip will eat almost anything and I am always afraid of something like this happening. Glad Weasley is OK!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no! So glad that Weasley is ok!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad there was nothing "extra" in Weasley's tummy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank goodness you are ok, little one
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad Weasley survived this little episode. Even Bertie in his most manic chewing phase never tried a DVD!

    ReplyDelete
  12. good to hear, so far so good. i've had my share of waiting and seeing with yuki and rocket, but mostly yuki, she's the worst at stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh dear that is the second today/yesterday, pop over to Dougall and Floyd has been at the cd collection. http://the-dougall-diaries.blogspot.co.uk/ You would have thought the vet would know it wouldn't show up or at least have checked. Nevermind the main thing is Weasley is OK. What an expensive worry you had. Have a terrific Tuesday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  14. Weasley is one lucky pup! He should be careful
    Cotton

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my Dog Weasley! What are those dogs like, we will never have any money with them will we :) I am crossing my fingers and toes that anything will pass with no problem.
    Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thats was quite the scare! Santa is watching little one! Teehee

    Pibble sugars,
    Brinks and bella

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow a dvd who would have thought, i am so glad your little boy is okay though, and that you have an understanding boss, if i am not feeling good mom has to lie to her dog-hating boss and tell him she is sick!
    give wesley a hug from us!
    stella rose

    ReplyDelete
  18. Weasley! That's crazy! Please be more discerning next time when it comes to your choice of snack. We need your cuteness!

    Thanks to your Mom for all of the very, very helpful info.

    ♥♥♥
    Meredith & Scarlet

    ReplyDelete
  19. Im glad he is ok! What a scare for you! yeah Stella-Bob has me on my toes constantly since I am trying to avoid that $250 xray for something she ate!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Weasley! I'm glad you are ok. Please stay away from anything with sharp edges!
    Love,
    Christy

    ReplyDelete