Saturday, February 23, 2013

A Geeky Breakfast from Game of Thrones


On Tuesday mom got all excited because she got a package in the mail based on how happy she was we figured it had to have something edible in it, maybe a Bark Box!  When mom opened it we saw a boring blu-ray box set:



Mom you can't even eat this

Mom explained to us that it was the season 2 boxed set of Game of Thrones.   This is one of those geeky shows mom and dad like and they don't have HBO so they have never seen season two, they have read the super long books though (or at least some of them).   Mom tried to tell us that we liked the show by reminding us that it has dogs, or dire wolves as they are called on the show, in it and we do like barking at dogs on TV.




We still were not very interested, food is better, but then mom told us there is a lot of food mentioned in the Fire and Ice books.  According to her a lot of the recipes sound pretty fanciful Pie stuffed with 100 doves for example and some are quite revolting, at least to humans.  Honey roasted mice anyone?
Sounds good to me!
But quite a few of the foods are familiar to modern viewers, roasted chicken and lamb for example, and plenty of tarts.  Some ambitious and talented fans of the series decided to create recipes inspired by the books and show and have created a website, Inn at The Cross Roads, and a cookbook, A Feast of Ice and Fire.  Mom spent some time looking at the website and decided to create one of the simpler meals, and best part she said we could have a taste of the bacon (we are starting to like this Game of Thrones thing).

Mom decided to make Breakfast at Winterfell, which consists of soft boiled eggs, thick bacon, buttered peasant bread, sharp cheddar cheese, honey, and black berry jam.



Smells tasty

 Perfect Soft Boiled Egg
  • 1 organic egg
  • vinegar and salt
Take the egg out of the fridge about a half hour before you are going to cook it.   Bring a small pan of water to a simmer and add 1 tsp of vinegar and a pinch of salt.   Add the egg to the pot and simmer/boil for exactly four minutes.  Serve with buttered  bread.

Everyone was very happy with the breakfast, except the cats who where really hoping for those mice.


20 comments:

  1. I had no idea there were recipes that had something to do with the show... but I've never read the books either, we're just watching the DVDs as they come out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the breakfast looks yummy. I guess I live in a cave or something cuz I have never heard of that show.
    Blessings,
    Goose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom and Us want to come live at your house. Your cooking always looks and sounds so yummy!
    hugs
    Bailey, Hazel & Greta

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen the show yet, but I have heard it was great. So, I think I need to come and stay with you for a week or so just so you can cook for me, ok?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm don't know anything about the show, but breakfast sure looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't seen Game of Thrones, but I'm intrigued. The length of the books are imposing, but I know if you enter the "world," they're probably not long enough. Breakfast looks wonderful, but big mistake mentioning the honeyed mice...huge let-down for the kitties.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't seen Game of Thrones either, but the breakfast sounds yummy! It's fun to see the kitties, too!

    Your pal, Pip

    ReplyDelete
  8. We too don't know about the Game of Thorns but the foodables look great. Sorry the cats didn't get any mice on toast. Have a super Saturday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmm, that boiled egg looks so yummy, it's been ages since I had a boiled egg.
    LOL, so funny that puss approves of honey roast mice!
    Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha, dove stuffed pies or honey roasted mice sound bit unappetizing, but breakfast your mom cooked sure looks yummy! Sorry, kitties, for no roasted mice :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent, an evening of movies and a great breakfast plus I am sure more treats during the movie.

    Bert

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my dog. My boyfriend, Patrick, is a HUGE Game of Thrones Fan and I love watching the TV show. I showed him this post and he is excited to try cooking a meal like y'all! So clever. We also have been re-watching Season 2 to get ready for the new one. Happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't blame the pups for having zero interest in Game of Thrones. Neither do I, regardless of the dire wolves. The other half loves the show though. Enjoy season 2!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Y'all!

    I love it when my Human fixes soft cooked eggs. However, when we are here at the shore...just barely above sea level she only does them a different time than at our house in the mountains where it takes much longer.

    Y'all come by now,
    Hawk aka BrownDog

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for how to boil the perfect egg, don't laugh but mine always come out like rocks..Gonna go and make myself one with some soldiers..xx00xx

    Mollie and Alfie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love Game of Thrones! Good taste in DVDs AND food! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i haven't watched that show but i want too! i love that you made a themed breakfast! i did a wizard's feast for the last harry potter movie, it was so fun! if we lived near each other we would have to have some kind of geeky dinner party!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My Mom is crazy and gaga over Game of Thrones. She can't wait for season 3 and she is driving us all nuts. The breakfast at Winterfell looks so yummy. I will get after her to make that for me.

    Loveys Sasha

    ReplyDelete