Friday, February 8, 2013

I'm home and all better!

I'm back at home recovering with my family:



Weasley did well with his surgery, though he was certainly very groggy last night.  Our vet followed this anesthesia protocol:
  1.  Bloodwork the morning of surgery (of course)
  2. Fluids during surgery 
  3. Induction with ketamine and isoflourane for the anesthesia
  4. Pulse oximeter and ECG monitoring
It cost extra, the final bill was a whopping 750, but it is the preferred method for flat face dogs and what I ask for in every surgery for my smoosh faced guys.

I am not sure if any body if any of you subscribe to the Whole Dog Journal but they had a very interesting article on neutering and spaying this month, here is a link to the article.   The author echoes a lot of my own feelings about the procedure and does a good job with a controversial topic.  While I certainly understand the need for population control at shelters my own feelings about when to alter have changed.   That is one reason I waited until Bob and Weasley where about a year old to neuter them, where as I neutered Tubby and spayed Ping at about 6 months of age.  I also worry a bit about Norbert because he had a juvenile neuter at the shelter which I now know is not really the ideal.  I wish there was a way for shelters to adopt puppys out and then insure that owners followed through with the  surgery at the appropriate age.  As for giant breeds I am not sure I would want to neuter one I owned at all, as there seems to be such a connection between that and cancer.   Its one of the reasons I will likely never own a giant breed dog.  I was just wondering how you guys feel about this article.
 

21 comments:

  1. We wish you Weasley a speedy recovery and hopefully you won't need to cone of shame for long. Take it easy pal. Stay warm. Have a fabulous Friday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. KB just had Shyla spayed and they did it laporascopically (I know I am spelling that horribly wrong). It wasn't an option when I had my girls, but will definitely remember it in the future.

    I'm glad Weasley is okay.

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woof! Woof! Glad Weasley is home. Sending lots of Golden healing Thoughts for early recovery. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I asked my vet about how they did the spaying he just looked at me....I guess the country vets here don't give it much thought...geeze!!! I will read that article...I am glad weasley is home and healing, we sent a big prayer his way yesterday!!
    stella rose's mommma

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad that Weasley is home and recovering, albeit with the dreaded cone. A very interesting article. I have read about this before particularly with how being intact allows for proper growth and body development. It is a tough issue. I'm glad the information is out there and hopefully vets will help owners navigate through this. With retired greyhounds, they aren't fixed until they end their racing careers and go into the adoption system. I'm glad about that because it allowed them to fully develop physically.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome home sweet Weasley. You will be better before you know it
    Snorts,
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  7. Scarlet was spayed by the rescue when before she came home with us so I don't know how they did it. My Angel Nicki (lab) I had spayed and would have to guess it was the "traditional" way since it was 15/16 years ago and I didn't know and better. She was about 2 when we had it done and had gone through heat 2 or 3 times. We got her at 7 months old and thought we might breed her but then decided against it.

    Thank you for mentioning the anesthesia info. Scarlet hasn't had any surgeries with us yet so I'm glad to have that info in advance.

    Sweet Weasley, feel better quickly buddy! We love you!

    ♥♥♥
    Meredith & Scarlet

    ReplyDelete
  8. Being neutered is bad enough, but now the cone of shame....Sigh. Get well fast so you can lose the necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear everything went well....looks like everyone is taking care of you!

    Hugs
    The Girls

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you are home and recuperating. Have a restful weekend.
    *Cairn cuddles*
    Oz

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to see you are home and taking it easy.

    hugs
    Bailey, Hazel & Greta

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pleased you are home and all well went.. Your gang will take good care of you, don't forget to milk it :) xx00xx

    Mollie and Alfie

    ReplyDelete
  13. So happy to hear Weasley came through his surgery well. Get well soon little man!
    Dip Bridge and Elliot x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad Weasley is doing better and surgery went well!

    Betty hates the cone of shame, hope you get it off soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Weasley you make that Cone of Shame look good!

    I have to admit that these days if I see an intact male dog, not show dog, but pet, at the dogpark or out on a walk I tend to judge the owners...Maybe I'm brainwashed, but I just assume (danger danger) that all male dogs not of "show quality" and being responsibly bred should be neutered...I feel the same way about females, but of course can't tell on observation...So after reading the article have my feelings changed? Not yet, but I admit there are some important points being made that require further study...

    ReplyDelete
  16. So glad that your surgery went well and you are home recovering with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Get better soon Weasley- lots of rest!
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Recovery! :) Looks like you have good company!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So glad you are back at home!

    Stop on by for a visit
    Kari
    http://dogisgodinreverse.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I knew you'd do great, so glad you are home! Very thought provoking article.
    Love,
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Weasley I am so happy to hear you are recovering well and enjoying the pampering.

    We are so far behind in Whole Dog Journal. I mean very, very, very, very far behind.

    Take care Weasley.

    Bella & Sweet Pea

    ReplyDelete