Friday, February 22, 2013

Happy Birthday Edward Gorrey

Today is the 88th anniversary of the birth of the late Edward Gorrey a writer and artist known for his cutely macabre work.  Gorrey was a cat rather then a dog lover, 
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgpz1L-Feg-24Iw0YdLxWlou51Y_knI_Ru90sFCt0npz8H6nqgaAQ9SddlHWGzCxmryiSheLbHTL2lo4s8IN0p9rcRYtHSvSkK8x1odtlR18AiatGvUH0TTpLPVcBLyCfmpbDX1c1wG47A6/s1600/cat15gorey.jpg

and lived with many in his home in Cape Cod.  

Today you can visit his former home in Cape Cod

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8c/Edward_Gorey_House_3.jpg

or you can shop online a the museum store for a plush cat inspired by his cat illustrations
http://www.goreystore.com/sites/goreystore.com/files/imagecache/product_full/products/19156_skuimg.jpg.
Here are some of my favorite Gorey illustrations of cats and dogs



[gorey.jpg]




tumblr_lxx7bmHLHJ1qlf56so1_500.jpg

11 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to great artist! His illustrations are very cute. And I love this pretty plush cat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We could only see two of the illustrations but they are strangely funny. Nice to remember him on his birthday. Have a fabulous Friday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love Edward Gorey. Like many, I was first introduced to his work through Mystery! on PBS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will have to look for his work, its very cool!

    Scarlet thinks the cat's sweater looks like hers from Pugnotes...

    ♥♥♥
    Meredith & Scarlet

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard of him but we love that little house and the cat is so cute xx00xx

    Mollie and Alfie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday Edward Gorrey!
    My son was just telling me it was his birthday today. I absolutely love his 'alphabet' illustrations - I have a very bizarre sense of humour.
    Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  7. We like the "book in my hand, dog by my side".
    sounds like a perfect way to spend a day.
    hugs
    Bailey, Hazel & Greta

    ReplyDelete
  8. Though I never heard of him, he sure did some interesting drawings. Happy Birthday sir.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish him a happy birthday too
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the information about this very cool author. Happy Birthday!!

    Loveys Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love him! even though the mystery title sequence that he did used to scare me to death when i was a kid! so creepy! i sent out some of this christmas cards last year and my family is still scandalized. haha!

    ReplyDelete