New Year's Eve
Mother's DayFather's Day
The Fourth of July
to name a few.
However, we at Urban Hounds have discovered a new holiday of great importance: National Cheese Lovers Day!!!! which was yesterday, January 20.
What is more deserving of a holiday then the tastiest, yummiest food out there, beloved by hounds and humans both (even if its not particularly good for them.) So in honor of the big day we are sharing two Macaroni and Cheese Recipes, one for hounds and one for humans.
Mac and Cheese for Hounds
Note from mom: This is not a particularly healthy recipe so keep portions small, it make a nice kibble topper.
- 1/2 elbow macaroni
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 bag of shredded Italian blend cheese (low fat is fine)
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes (I used whole tomatoes because that' what we had but diced would be better)
- 1 12 oz package of frozen green beans or peas
Meanwhile heat the oil in a sauce pan over medium heat and gradually whisk in the flour, keep whisking until the flour turns a golden brown color. Gradually whisk in the milk. Keep whisking until the milk and flour mixture thickens up into a nice sauce consistency. Add the cheese and stir until it has melted. Then add the tomatoes and green beans and stir well. Finally, stir in the cooked macaroni.
Spray a muffin tin (mini muffins are fine) with no stick cooking spray. Spoon macaroni mixture into all of the muffins tins. Bake 35 minutes until golden brown.
Buffalo Style Mac and Cheese for Humans (adapted from www.epicurious.com)
- 1 1lb elbow macaroni
- 2 cups of chopped green onions
- 8 tbsp of butter, divided
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 pound extra-sharp cheddar cheese, coarsely grated (about 4 cups packed)
- 8 ounces provolone cheese, coarsely grated (about 2 cups packed)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp Frank's Hot Sauce (plus more for serving)
- 1/4 cup of blue cheese, such as danish blue, crumbled
- 1 package of frozen buffalo style chicken tenders, thawed and diced
Cook macaroni in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite. Drain; transfer to very large bowl. Mix in green onions.
Melt 6 tablespoons butter in same large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic. Cover; sauté until onion is soft, stirring often, about 6 minutes. Add flour; stir 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat and simmer sauce 2 minutes. Add all cheeses, paprika, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Whisk until cheeses melt and sauce is smooth, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Season to taste with more salt and pepper, if desired. Mix cheese sauce into macaroni and stir in the 4 tbsp of Franks' Hot Sauce. Mix in chicken pieces. Mound mixture in 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Sprinkle over the blue cheese. Bake 30 to 45 minutes until top is just brown and sauce is bubbling.