Thursday, September 29, 2011

Simple Projects-Easy Mistake Stitch Scarf from The Purl Bee



If you are at all interested in knitting you have got to check out The Purl Bee's website and if you live in the NYC area you should really go to their amazing store in Soho.  If you don't knit you will want to learn after you see the rainbow of yarn colors. Their blog has a lot of nice easy patterns that beginners can actually make, unfortunately I have discovered that lots of supposedly beginner patterns really are not (or they are not least for my level of beginner), but at the Purlbee that's not the case.  If you can cast on,
knit
and purl
Then you can make this lovely ribbed scarf.  

The pattern is beyond easy:
  • Cast on 39 stitches using long tail cast on methods
  • K2, p2 to the last three stitches then K2, p1 
  • When the scarf reaches the length you want, bind of in the pattern.


The purl bee recommends a 12 ply cashmere yarn that could make you faint with sticker shock.  I for one don't have the budget for a 250 dollar scarf right now, that money is for vet bills.  However, never fear, there are lots of other lovely  yarns at the store that cost a lot less.  I made my scarf using one skein of Cascade Yarns Eco and I had quite a bit of yarn leftover.  I used Scarlett since the person I am making it for is a fan of red.  There are tons of amazing colors though.  Here is a picture:







I like the scarf so much I plan on making one for myself soon.

I know this is a pet blog (and I promise the next knitting project will be pet related) and I do have a good dog health news update to share.  Norbert had a re-check of his Lyme titer, he was asymptomatic but was diagnosed with Lyme disease in April, and his numbers have dropped from over 250 to below 40!  That means he does not need another round of antibiotics.  We may re-check again in 6 months but basically he is in the all clear as far as Lyme disease goes.

6 comments:

  1. I love the scarf. My dogs are always helping with my crocheting. Katy especially loves chasing the yarn when it escapes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful scarf! My mom started to teach me to knit right before she passed away, so I'm a beginner. I'm going to give this a try. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one cool scarf, thanks for sharing. Pet blogs are for sharing - and not just pet stuff.
    Love Noodles's Mommy#2

    ReplyDelete
  4. We don't trust mom with those needles
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear Norbert is in the clear with the Lyme ... I know you were having a crisis of conscience over that. So pleased all is well.

    Great scarf! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for Norbert! Antibiotics are no fun so glad he doesn't have to go back on them :)

    ReplyDelete