Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Tasty Tuesday: Broiled Grapefruit, A Fairly Healty Treat For People

Anyone who reads this blog knows how much I like my fat and sugar, but since we have been following the Kolchak Puggle  K9 fitness camp



I figured we were overdue for a somewhat healthy recipe.   I decided to make broiled grapefruit.   I had some at the restaurant Egg in super trendy hipster inhabited Willamsburg, Brooklyn.  Egg is hardly a health restaurant, but it is delicious, and it excels at breakfast.  All of their food comes from a farm in upstate New York and is very reasonably prices, with nothing over 15 dollars.  Anyway, I went to Egg at the end of my summer vacation and had a delicious (and fattening) breakfast there of scrapple, eggs, and broiled grapefruit, and the grapefruit was the best part!  I decided I had to try it at home.  Its a fairly healthy recipe even if there is a tiny bit of butter and sugar (I couldn't help myself).


Broiled Grapefruit With Mint
Ingredients
  • 2 large grapefruits
  • about 2 tbsp sugar, or to taste
  • about 1 tbsp butter, or less
  • small bunch of mint
Preheat broiler. Cut the grapefruits in half and loosen the sections with a nice.  Spring about a 1/2 tbsp of sugar over each grapefruit half.  Dot each grape fruit half with a small amount of butter.  Broil for 5 to 7 minutes.  Tear up some mint leaves and sprinkle over the grapefruit.  Serve.




And remember one of the best, and easiest, healthy treats for dogs, a bag of baby carrots!



7 comments:

  1. Woof! Woof! Interesting. Never had grapefruit but my mom loves it. YES to Carrots. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew that dogs eat carrots, might have to take some round to my folks and see what Archie thinks! (He's their Cairn Terrier) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh we love carrots but grapefruits, icky
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! That sound delicious! It would never have occurred to me to broil a grapefruit?! Sounds really good though. I will definitely give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grapefruit is definitely for people. Broiling it makes it easier to eat and tastier, I was surprised by how good it was

    ReplyDelete
  6. Riggs with his horrible allergies lives off of baby carrots as treats. He LOVES them. In the evening he get one large carrot. I am waiting to see a bushy white tail and pointing ears to form on him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i just love seeing all of your photos and recipes!
    great fitness updates and suggestions this week!

    ReplyDelete