Sunday, January 13, 2013

Black and White Sunday (and a Recipe)

Three Pugs on a bench:

Original Picture:


Brushstrokes

 Pastels:
 Black and White:

All the effects are photo shop and I do think I like black and white the best.

And the recipe, Baked Chili.  This is thicker (and in my opinion tastier) then regular old Chili and would make a perfect Super Bowl Recipe if you are into that kind of thing.  Its also good for cold weather days, its been weirdly all winter here, but we know some of our blogger friends are in a cold snap.   

Baked Chili from Casserole Crazy (which is just the best cookbook I would be lost without it)




  •  1tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 1/2 large white onions, chopped
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 bell peppers (I used red and yellow) 
  • 2 1lb ground beef
  • 1 tbsp chili powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 2 cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 can black beans,  drained and rinsed
  • 12 ounces Cascadian Farms frozen corn
  • 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes, Muir Glen
  • 1 1/2 cups club or saltine cracker crumbs
  • 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar (plus 1/2 cup for top of chili)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • scallions or chives for garnish
  • sour cream for garnish
Preheat the oven to 375.  

Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot over medium heat and add the onions.  Saute until translucent about five minutes.  Add the garlic and peppers and saute for ten more minutes until softened (you may need to lower the heat to prevent burning).  Add the beef and cook until browned.  Drain of some of the extra fat.   Add the spices and the drained and rinsed beans, corn, and tomatoes.  Stir well.   Add the cracker crumbs and cheese, mixing as you do.   Salt and pepper to taste.  Transfer to a large casserole, cover with the lid or foil, and bake for 45 minutes to an hour until nice and bubbly.   Remove the lid, top with the remaining half a cup of cheddar and bake 20 minutes until the cheese browns.   Garnish with the scallions or chives and serve with extra crackers and sour cream.
  

12 comments:

  1. Chili.....mmmm mmmmm that's good! I could put a good dent in that cook pot...LOL!
    I do believe the B & W is very compelling....lovely snookums you have there. Thanks for dropping by...

    Sophie Doodle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a super Black N White Sunday. Oh my the chill....hmmmmm..... one of our favourites.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chili would be great for the game today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The chili looks delicious. I love this picture...it's so urban, perfect for your pack. I just love that Weasley. Look at that face. That boy know how to work the camera. Tubby...you're next best model, and Ping...you look like you're ready to get on with the walk. What sweeties!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My family would love the chilli.
    Love the photo effects.
    Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm like you, I really enjoy playing with the black and white feature of my photo-thingie! Really gives an interesting spin. Also the chili looks great--I'm in a cold snap right now and oven bake would be easy-peasy! Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm that sounds so good. It's rainy and cold here and that would be yummy comfort food for a gloomy day.

    I like the photo shop effects. I agree the black and white is my favorite too.

    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chilli,Dad loves Chilli :) I fink youz look fab color or B&W :) XX00XX

    Mollie and Alfie

    ReplyDelete
  9. mmmmmmm that Chili sounds good. Mom was wondering what she could do with the left over club crackers from Christmas and what to fix for the SuperBowl so this would take care of both! Love the picture in black & white!
    hugs
    Bailey, Hazel & Greta

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woof! Woof! Never tried brushstrokes. It's interesting how a photo can change instantly. Happy BnW Sunday! Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like the brushstrokes effect.
    Love,
    Christy

    ReplyDelete