Thursday, January 24, 2013

National Peanutbutter Day

We just had National Blondie Day, and National Cheese Day and today our waist lines get no rest with......National Peanut Butter Day.   Peanut butter is a big staple of the American diet, with apparently consuming about 350 millions pounds of the stuff a year. While peanut butter was originally popularized in this country as a health food by John Kellog, it does have a good amount of calories and in most of today's versions a lot of sugar.   If you stick to the no sugar added variety, which is closer to the healthy mashed peanut paste eaten by Africans and South Americans for thousands of year, then peanut butter is not really bad for you.  

 It is also a healthy choice for dogs, its high and protein and most dogs love the taste, plus very few dogs suffer from peanut allergies.   Its easy spreadibility makes it an obvious chose for stuffing Kongs and hollow bones.  However, peanut butter does have a lot of calories and fat, so you need to be careful with your pups waist line particularly if you have a small dog.   All of the dogs in our house LOVE peanut butter and its our go to for hiding pills, its also what we usually stuff our Kongs with.   In an effort to make it lest calorific I mix the peanut butter with something with less calories and fat, like low fat yogurt.

Puppy's Peanut Butter Parfait

 1 scant tbsp all natural creamy peanut butter, no sugar added
1/4 cup to 1/2 cup plain low fat yogurt
1 ripe banana if you have it on hand, I didn't
A few organic dog biscuits for crumbling (optional)

Mash the banana (if using) and add the yogurt and peanut butter and mix well. Crumble over the cookies and again and stir.   Spoon a small amount into a Kong type toy (I used the Planet Dog Strawberry available from Olive Green Dog and an old hollow bone from I don't no where).  Freeze overnight if you have the time, and then give to a dog that needs something to occupy them. 



Or just serve them on a spoon which is how Tubby and Ping enjoyed the mixture.





If you want something a bit sweeter for the humans here is a recipe I have made in the past, its very easy and good choice for kids (I made it with the students at my school).   

Peanut Butter Dream Bars (Adapted From Buttercup Bakes at Home)

2 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs, crush in a plastic baggie or grind in a food processor
1 1/2 sticks of unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 cups pecans (chopped)
1 cup peanut butter chips
2 1/2 cups sweetened, shredded coconut
2 (14 oz) cans sweetened condensed milk

Preheat the oven to 325.
Crust: In a bowl combine the graham cracker crumbs and the melted butter and then press into an ungreased 9x13 inch pan.
Spread the pecans over the crust, then the chips, and then the coconut.  Pour over the condensed milk, being careful to pour evenly.  Spread with a spatula so it completely covers the coconut.   Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until lightly golden.   Allow to cool to room temperature or overnight before cutting in small bars and serving.

12 comments:

  1. I can sure see why your furry kids love living with you!!!! Yummy!
    stella rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now those are just hmmmmm divine. Blimey blondie, cheese and peanut butter days......could be peeps birthday/ Have a terrific Thursday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woof! Woof! WHAT??? Mmmm Did you know that I have not had PB for almost a year. ENJOy your PB Day. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use peanut butter as Jimmy's post-run agility reward. He LOVES it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look so good, we bet the kids are glad it is peanut butter day!
    Dip Bridge and Elliot x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum Yum, Mom gives me a bit of peanut butter in my Kong :) Well if was good enough for Elvis, it's sure good enough for me , I fink he had Jam wiff hiz..BOL xx00xx

    Mollie and Alfie

    ReplyDelete
  7. You always have such great recipes.Dad loves peanut butter on his morning waffles so the kids each get a lick.
    hugs
    Bailey, Hazel & Greta

    ReplyDelete
  8. we are on our way over
    Snorts,
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did not know it was peanut butter day.
    Save some for me!
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love peanut butter BOL BOL!

    Loveys Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMP! I can't believe I missed NATIONAL PEANUT BUTTER DAY! Well, actually every day is NATIONAL PEANUT BUTTER DAY at our house. At lunchtime, my dad fills my Wigzi ball up with chopped up baby carrot bits and tops it off with peanut butter to seal in the goodness. I can spend HOURS on that thing. I do live peanut butter. This one time I got to lick what was left out of the peanut butter jar...yes, it was the BEST DAY EVER.

    -Love,
    Sid.

    ReplyDelete