Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Kumquat Yogurt Cake for WC Fields's Birthday

“The advantages of whiskey over dogs are legion. Whiskey does not need to be periodically wormed, it does not need to be fed, it never requires a special kennel, it has no toenails to be clipped or coat to be stripped. Whiskey sits quietly in its special nook until you want it. True, whiskey has a nasty habit of running out, but then so does a dog.”

WC Fields

 

http://a4.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/52/99011f1001134b5ca4ecef4df3acbe08/l.jpg 

 

 

WC Fields may have been famous for stating his hatred of children and dogs, but that doesn't stop me from loving his films.   Whether or not his dislike of dogs was an act or reality, I can't help but like him.  Today is 133rd anniversary of his birth.  In celebration I am sharing a clip of one of my favorite scenes from  his best film (in my opinion), Its A Gift.  Even at 80 years of age this movie never gets old.   The recipe is inspired by the fruit, Kumquats, mentioned in the scene.

 

 

Kumquat Yogurt Cake for WC Field's Birthday (adapted from See Girl Cook)

 (This recipe may not use  the ten pounds of Kumquats WC Fields was looking for,  but its still full of Kumquat flavor)

 

 

 

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour 

2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp kosher salt

1 cup sugar

1 1/2 cups  Kumquats, sliced in half and seeded

3 eggs, whisked

1 cup plain yogurt

1/2 tsp almond extract

1/2 cup vegetable oil or olive oil


Preheat oven to 350 and line a loaf pan with parchment paper.   Whisk the dry ingredients together in a large bowl aside. In the food processor combine the sugar and kumquats and process until combined into a chunky paste.  Pour the kumquat paste into another bowl and add the yogurt, eggs, and almond extract.   Whisk together until completely combined.  Add the oil and fold in with a spatula until completely combined.  Bake for 45-50 minutes until cooked through.



 

 

 

13 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to WCF. That cake sounds wonderful. Never thought of kumquat instead of orange. Have a terrific Tuesday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking WC Fields would have to like Bob.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That recipe sounds tasty!!
    Have a fun day
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, despite his dislike of dogs, the quote is funny. I love kumquat. They smell so good.
    Your cake looks very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of kumquat cake, I would like to taste it though!
    Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wouldn't even know where to buy Kumquats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Youz noze wez fick Kumquat'z are doze little orange fing'z youz eat the skin ? BOL we don't get them much where'z we live'z, Can I uze orangez or just double'z up on the whisky..BOL xx00xx

    Mollie and Alfie

    ReplyDelete
  8. The quote is quite funny so I can't blame ya for still liking him even after knowing he dislikes dogs.

    When I was a kid my Dad used to always say; "Never trust a man that doesn't like dogs."

    I've never heard of this cake before but it looks mouth watering.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have never ate a kumquat but that cake looks yummy

    hugs
    Bailey, Hazel & Greta

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds delish! Happy Birthday, WC Fields!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL, I was reading the recipe and instead of whisked, I read "whiskey". LOL, I was like "WHISKEY KUMQUAT CAKE"?!?! I'm so in. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday to WC Fields, and what a great way to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete