Sunday, July 1, 2012

Sunday Supper-Cream Fraiche Roasted Salmon

Living with 5 dogs and 3 cats means that travel is not much of an option for me.  I can't bear the idea of leaving my furry family members in a boarding facility and after vet visits, food, toys, treats, and other doggie accessories there is no money left over for travel anyway.   So I have become a fan of the virtual vacation.   To take a virtual vacation you make food from a place you would like to visit, since if you ask me food is the best part of travel, and you look at pictures of your idea destination on the computer.

I've always thought it would be neat to visit Iceland, Scandanavia and other Northern parts of Europe.

http://i1.trekearth.com/photos/9706/018iceland.jpg
Iceland the place I'd most like to visit, It looks like Tolkien's Moddle Earth


http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSaBbzZhTsx3kcdIGv7G9gpL4Ixhd4-uRiKxjRzbPFEt6Tf_aEYaSwjUCJrCA
A Scandanavian Castle



Since summer is such a fleeting moment in these frigid countries big Summer festivals and celebrations are common.



http://www.oldoregon.com/images/uploads/press_room/Scandinavian_Festival_1_Medium_medium.JPG
And since its a virtual vacation you need not dance around the May Pole



Fish is a popular food choice in Scandanavia and other Nordic countries and dill is a popular herb there.  So I decided to make Roast Salmon with Cream Fraiche and Dill for my virtual vacation.


Roast Salmon With Cream Fraiche and Dill

Kosher or sea salt 

Pepper

1 tub Vermont Creamery cream fraiche,  about a cup

1/4 cup chopped Fresh Dill


Preheat to 425 and line a baking sheet with foil.  Place the fish fillets on the sheet skin side down and season with salt and pepper.   Spread with the cream fraiche, trying to cover in a think but complete layer.  Roast for about 12-15 minuts until the fish is cooked through.   Test for doneness by seeing if the fish flakes in the thickest part.

Sprinkle with dill before serving.

Serve with boiled new potatoes tossed with butter, salt, and dill.


Tasty Dish, Bad Photo


Of course you will also be needing a nice summer friendly desert.   One of my favorite summer deserts is simple, Mint Chip Ice Cream with Hot Fudge Sauce, Yum!  Of course you could by hot fudge sauce but why would you when home made is so much better.
Simple Hot Fudge Sauce 


  • 1 cup whipping cream
  • 1/2 cup light corn syrup
  • 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped (I use morsels)
  • 6 ounces bittersweet  chocolate, chopped (I  use chocolate chips)

Preparation

  • Bring cream and corn syrup to simmer in heavy medium saucepan. Remove from heat. Add all chocolate and stir until melted and smooth
This keeps in the fridge for weeks and can be reheated in the microwave at medium heat.   I like it served with Adirondack Creamery White Face Mint Chip




















14 comments:

  1. My mouth is watering that looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. **drooling** Mama love love love loves Salmon with dill and creme fraise. Some silly humans here in BC believe that mayo is better, but Mama says there is *no contest* Happy Sunday Supper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a cool idea, holidays without the travel hassle :). Great looking dishes too, especially the pudding.

    Wen you virtually come to England, make sure you have some of our fish and chips, yummy yum yum. Or one of Susie-Belles favourites, roast beef with Yorkshire puddings, very deliicious indeed.

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We LOVE all the English foods best of all! Mom is a huge anglophile and we love Fish and Chips and Yorkshire Puddings. We have a couple of English Recipes in the Recipe section of our blog

      urban hounds

      Delete
  4. Iceland is one of the strangest places ever , snow yet hot houses growing oranges and bananas heated from hot water from the underground springs and landscapes of rock with no vegetation in sight just like a Martian landscape. Love your idea of a virtual tour. Why not once a month do a dedicated country. We'd all like that.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so creative and talented! I would love to go to Iceland as well. But, I'm not cooking that extravagantly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks really delicious...except for the part where I turned vegan 2 months ago! LOL! Beautiful post though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The food sounds yummy!
    Thank you for sharing!
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mom is drooling over the salmon and dill!
    Stewey

    ReplyDelete
  9. I travel much less since my boys came. It's totally okay as I love just hanging out with them :-) Virtual vacation is such a great idea!! And I agree, food is the best part of travel. Your dishes looks so yummy! I wish I could cook like you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gweat idea! Thewe's only one of me, but we'we too bwoke to go anywhewe. Yoowchoice of those cool nowthewn places is pawfect as we melt hewe in Boo da Pest
    Thank yoo fow that wecipe. It sounds heavenly
    Smoochie kisses
    Asta

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks delicious! What a fun and smart idea. I should do this once a week. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the idea - but I think I lack the dedication and focus to carry it out myself :/ Thanks for the inspiration though!

    ReplyDelete